Potato soup for chilly days
• 55g butter
• 425g potatoes, peeled and diced
• 110g onions, diced
• 1 tsp salt
• freshly ground pepper
• 900ml home-made chicken stock or vegetable stock
• 120ml creamy milk
• freshly chopped herbs to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams, add the potatoes and onions and toss them in the butter until well coated.
2. Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover with a butter wrapper or paper lid and the lid of the saucepan. Sweat on a gentle heat for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil. When the vegetables are soft but not coloured add the boiling stock and continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
4. Add the milk and purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Serve sprinkled with a few freshly chopped herbs or some of the following garnishes.
*The Vaal Nest Boutique Hotel at the Vaal Dam in the quaint town of Vaal Marina in the Vereeniging/Midvaal area offers luxurious accommodation with a 4 star rating. Just about an hours drive from Johannesburg it is a perfect weekend getaway in one of the scenic sites of Gauteng.
Our Address: 587 Kob Street, Vaal Marina, Gauteng – South Africa
Our Contact Info: Email: email@example.com Tel: 016 372 1075 Fax: 016 372 1044