Rules to live by for the sailor
Vaal Marina, the Home town of the Vaalnest Boutique Hotel, is a popular playground for yachting enthusiasts who love sailing on the Vaal Dam.
If you are a beginner, you have to take note of certain safety rules:
• Avoid sailing on days where the wind is above force 4. Calm waters are the best for sailing as well as low traffic.
• Research wind and weather conditions before sailing.
• It is possible, but not always a good idea to sail in rainy weather.
• If you are a beginner, buy a smaller boat that is easier to handle. You can always upgrade as you get better. One sail is also a perfect starting point as it is less complicated to handle.
• Make sure you follow the basic safety guidelines, such as having a flotation device. If you are going sailing alone, always tell someone before the time.
• Understand sailing controls. Know what changes to make to the sail in the different wind and water conditions.
• When you first get your boat, capsize on purpose. You need to learn in a calm environment how to get out of the situation.
• If you can, it is a good idea to go on a basic sailing course and invest in some good yachting books that you can keep on board for emergencies.
• Learn your sailing terms. These are the ten most important ones to research: starboard, port, aft, bow, leeward, windward, boom, rudder, tacking, jibing. These terms will come in handy when doing a sailing course or even when buying a boat.