Quick Facts you should know about Vaal Dam according to Vaalnest Boutique Hotel
It is no coincidence that our Hotel is situated near the surroundings of Vaal Dam, this historic location is home to some of the vast species of birds in South Africa. The tranquil setting makes it ideal for a holiday getaway. We also took in consideration the wildlife surround the dam and what makes this all unique is the type of location as whole. This dam serves as a source of water and feeds straight to the Vaal Marina town and other nearby areas. The Deneysville / Vaaldam area is also fast becoming the weekend recreation site of choice for many who stay in Johannesburg and other Reef town. The setting welcomes nature in every corner, from the blossoming trees to the vast species of birds.
- The Vaal Dam in South Africa was constructed in 1938 and lies 77 km south of OR Tambo International Airport. The lake behind the dam wall has a surface area of about 320 square kilometres (120 sq mi) and is 47 meters deep.
- The Vaal Dam lies on the Vaal River, which is one of South Africa's strongest-flowing rivers.
- According to reports the Vaaldam is one of the primary sources of fresh water for the Gauteng Area Deneysville and the Vaaldam have also developed into the main centres for all Boating , Sailing , Fishing and other Watersport activities in the Vaal triangle.
- The Lesotho Highlands Water Project pumps water into the system in order to supply water to the people and industrial complex of Gauteng. This water is piped from Lesotho into the Liebenbergsvlei and Wilge Rivers.
- The Sterkfontein Dam forms part of the Tugela-Vaal water transfer scheme for the interbasin transfer of water from the Thukela River in KwaZulu-Natal to boost the levels in the Vaal River System.
- Water from the Sterkfontein Dam is released once the Vaal Dam drops to below 16%. The dam has its own island some 5 km (3 mi) long.
- The island was used as a secret meeting place by the apartheid government but now hosts the annual Round the Island Yacht race, a Guinness Book of World Records title of the largest inland yacht race.
- Three provinces make up the Dam's shoreline - the Free State has the longest stretch, Mpumalanga has a beautiful and relatively unspoilt shoreline, while the most despoiled by far is that of Gauteng.
- The dam was commissioned in 1939, has a capacity of 2.536 cubic kilometres (2,056,000 acre•ft), and a surface area of 320 square kilometres (120 sq mi), the dam wall is 63 metres (207 ft) high.
- Deneysville is the largest town on the Vaal Dam and provides a shopping centre for the Dam. There are three yacht clubs and two marinas.
The Vaal Dam
Location: Border Gauteng. Mpumalanga, & Free State
Coordinates: 26.89472°S 28.14555°E
Purpose: Domestic and Industrial water
Opening Date: 1938
Owner(s): Dept of Water Affairs
Type of Dam: Gravity Dam
Reference: Jump up to: a b c d e "VAAL DAM". Department of Water Affairs. Retrieved 19 December 2009
Remember that every holiday experience is different from another, so make sure to plan yours accordingly and research the place you wish to visit to get the full experience on what it has to offer.